- ARE LODGING AND TRAVEL COSTS INCLUDED IN THE TUITION?
- No, the cost of lodging and travel is up to the individual participant. Some local hotels will negotiate with enrollees and provide a lower rate for stays in Napa. Also, some past graduates living in or near the Napa area offer rooms in their home for Fellows. If you are accepted into the training program, information on local lodging options will be sent to you.
- HOW WILL I KNOW IF THIS KIND OF TRAINING IS RIGHT FOR ME?
- The UCDCPE Napa IPMHF is a very intense training program that may work extremely well for learners who thrive on 3-day immersion sessions with intense exposure to new material followed by an extended period of time for incorporation and consolidation. Such a format may not work well for learners who thrive on a typical college-type schedule of shorter sessions of exposure to new material with small breaks for incorporation and consolidation (e.g. 3 class hours per week). The class sessions consist of didactic presentations and extended sessions of processing and discussing material. Potential applicants may want to consider their comfort level related to processoriented learning, talking in a class setting, and thoughtfully considering the ideas of others in a non-competitive environment. Also, potential applicants should consider that this type of learning consists of long hours of sitting, listening, and discussing in an indoor conference room setting, and Fellows are expected to be seated with the group throughout the training sessions.
- CAN I AUDIO OR VIDEO TAPE THE SESSIONS?
- There is no audio and/or videotaping, digital/electronic recording of any kind allowed in the sessions, and live sessions are not broadcast. Participants may not take notes on laptops, PDAs, or other electronic devices, or photograph PowerPoint slides during lectures and discussions. These policies are in place to preserve the privacy of individuals in case presentations, and to protect copyrights, intellectual property rights, and proprietary agreements related to the materials being used in trainings, and promote engaged interaction among faculty and Fellows. In addition, this supports the privacy, safety, and comfort of the learners and faculty, fosters discussion, and assures that the program meets the safety requests of the agencies and establishments hosting training sessions. Finally, since the nature of the program is relationship-based and intended to support Fellows in enhancing therapeutic interactions with infants, children, parents, caregivers, and colleagues, the program is designed to promote group interaction, mindful presence, and self and mutual regulation, with active consideration of thoughts and ideas.
- IS THERE SCHOLARSHIP MONEY AVAILABLE FROM THE UCDCPE NAPA IPMHF OR ANY OF ITS SPONSORS?
- No, the sponsors and faculty do not have scholarship funds available. Potential applicants are encouraged to explore scholarship opportunities with their employers, professional organizations, local hospitals, and local philanthropic organizations. California residents may want to contact their county First 5 Commission and/or their Mental Health Services Act County Coordinator to determine if their local entities offer any tuition or scholarship options.
- ARE THERE LONG PERIODS OF SITTING?
- YES. Training days are usually broken into sections of 35-105 minutes each. A typical schedule would be: 8:15a-8:50a (10 minute break), 9:00a-10:30a (15 minute break), 10:45a-12n (60 minute lunch break), 1:00p-2:30p (15 minute break), and 2:45p-4:30p followed by adjourning for the day. Fellows must have the capacity to sit in a classroom for the length of these didactic sessions, and are expected to be seated in class while faculty are presenting. For regulation during breaks, the training is adjacent to areas for walking and getting outdoors.
- WHAT ARE THE ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS?
- In order to receive a Certificate of Completion, participants cannot miss more than 24 hours of didactic class time, and cannot miss more than 8 RSCF hours. Applicants should carefully review the training schedule to assure that they can attend all scheduled training dates. Potential conflicts may include family or personal obligations, graduation dates, birthdays, religious observances, weddings, anniversaries, business commitments, etc. Those missing more than 24 hours of classroom (didactic) training and/or not completing at least 50 RSCF hours with a Napa RSCF Mentor will not be eligible to receive a Certificate of Completion, but will receive a Letter of Conferral documenting the hours they completed.
- WHAT ARE THE 2020-2021 UCDCPE NAPA IPMHF TRAINING DATES IN NAPA, CA?
- The Fellowship will meet in Napa, CA on:
January 17-19, 2020*
February 21-23, 2020*
March 20-22, 2020*
April 17-19, 2020
May 15-17, 2020*
June 12-14, 2020*
July 10-12, 2020
August 7-9, 2020
September 4-6, 2020
(October ZTT encouraged**)
November 6-8, 2020
Dec 4-6, 2020
January 8-10, 2021*
April 8-10, 2021***
* Mandatory Session
***Thursday-Saturday session is mandatory (DETAILED SCHEDULE ON PAGE 9 OF THE INFORMATION PACKET)
- WHAT AIRPORTS SERVE THE NAPA AREA AND HOW DO I GET AROUND IN NAPA?
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF) is 60 miles east of Napa, San Francisco Airport (SFO) is 60 miles southwest of Napa, and Oakland International Airport is 50 miles south. Due to heavy traffic patterns in the Bay Area, Sacramento is almost always the most convenient airport to get to and from the Napa area, with a driving time of about 1 hour. There are scheduled shuttles from Napa to SFO and OAK. There are no regular shuttles to SMF. While in Napa, be advised that Napa has on-call taxis, but no circulating taxis to hail from the street. Parking is free at all hotel and training locations. A rental or personal car is highly recommended.
- ARE BREAKFASTS AND LUNCHES PROVIDED?
- No. Meals are typically on your own.