As it is one of the most distinctive qualities of beer, achieving the perfect foam is a precise art. In this course, you’ll learn at your own pace how foam affects the quality of beer. Designed for brewers of all skill levels, this online course is part of a comprehensive series where "The Pope of Foam”, Charlie Bamforth, guides you through the key markers of beer quality: flavor, foam, color/clarity, freshness and quality systems.
Through a series of riveting lectures, you will discover the science behind foam, how to measure and assess foam and how to achieve the ideal foam. By the end of this course, you will be able to apply your new knowledge to ensure excellent foam performance on your beers.
Students who successfully complete this course will earn a digital badge, demonstrating their proficiency and advanced education in the subject area. The skill-level digital badge represents a mastery of foam and its scientific relationship and performance in a quality beer.
- Identify why foam is important and how it contributes to the overall quality of beer
- Understand the physics and chemistry behind the texture and quality of foam
- Analyze how the raw materials and process of brewing impacts head retention and how to prevent over-foaming
- Systematically interpret and rectify poor foam performance
Skills You’ll Gain
- Foam physics and chemistry
- Foam measurement
- Foam production