This course is an online enrollment option for those completing the Professional Learning Series. Do not enroll in this course unless you can complete all modules in the series by the posted end date. If you are not already working in the modules but are interested, please visit: https://www.tkplonline.org/
This course provides an overview of transitional kindergarten for administrators and is part of the California Department of Education professional learning series Transitional Kindergarten Online Learning Modules. Participants will learn about legislation and policy regarding transitional kindergarten (TK), the benefits of transitional kindergarten for young children, the importance of age- and developmentally appropriate practices in transitional kindergarten programs, how to best support transitional kindergarten teachers and key resources to support transitional kindergarten implementation.
As these are online courses are for CEUs, attendance will be monitored through the course's activity menu page, which tracks the completion status of each lesson within the course. In order for attendance and participation requirements to be fulfilled, all required lessons must be logged as complete within Moodle.
This module will include the following:
Legislation and policy regarding transitional kindergarten;
- The Kindergarten Readiness Act of 2010
- Early admittance to transitional kindergarten Ed Code 48000(c)
- The intent of the transitional kindergarten program Ed Code 48000(c)
- Staffing the transitional kindergarten program Ed Code 48000(c) Paragraph G
The benefits of transitional kindergarten for young children;
- Social-emotional development
- Developmentally appropriate practice
- The impact ofTK on kindergarten readiness
The importance of age- and developmentally-appropriate practices in transitional kindergarten programs
How to best support transitional kindergarten teachers
Key resources to support transitional kindergarten implementation.
- An overview of key publications
- Where to access key publications
- Information about the California transitional kindergarten stipend program
- Other professional learning opportunities