Build a “Degree Pipeline” with UC Davis Professional Certificates
Under existing policies, UC Extension certificate programs can provide an academically rigorous, stackable pathway to applied professional graduate programs with up to 12 units of credit articulation through the credit transfer process. By partnering with UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education (CPE), your faculty can leverage these certificates to create a seamless entry point for a graduate program.
CPE-designed certificate programs are academically approved, online curricula that meet the unique pedagogical needs and busy schedules of working professionals. This “pathway” approach gives students the flexibility to advance their education in a manageable, realistic way while still maintaining full-time employment. Certificates can also prepare students to take accreditation exams, meet state-mandated requirements for continuing education, and provide a self-contained program of study for adults seeking career advancement without investing in a full degree program.
Significant Benefits for Your Department and Faculty
- Innovative, flexible partnership models provide new revenue to fund college or departmental priorities
- Create a sustainable pipeline of highly qualified graduate degree applicants
- Customized, nimble format gives faculty the opportunity to test new ideas and technology
- Reach a new audience of adult, non-matriculated learners
- Opportunities for faculty to earn additional income
- Many employers are willing to pay for professional certificates as a way of investing in their staff
- Support UC Davis’ outreach and community service mission
- Certificate content can be repurposed to support MOOCs and other opportunities
Collaborating with UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education
For more than 60 years CPE has helped its campus partners develop career-based programs that connect adult learners to UC Davis, drive the regional economy, and generate significant, unrestricted revenue.
As a collaborative partner, CPE provides you with:
- Expertise in reaching and teaching adult learners
- Decades of experience guiding faculty through the development process
- Turn-key administrative services and established infrastructure
- Comprehensive online educational design and production capabilities
- Nimble governance structure that provides speed and agility
Professional Certificate Criteria
A UC Extension-type Certificate Program is a series of credit-bearing courses (X400 series) providing in-depth study so students learn the most up-to-date skills and academic foundation to excel in their chosen field. Certificates provide a minimum of 12 units (120 hours) academic credit with a maximum of 12 units eligible for degree-articulation through the credit transfer process. Credit transfer is subject to the approval of the department chair.
Partner with Us!
CPE is built on partnership — collaborating with schools and colleges across campus to connect their research, knowledge and resources to working professionals and other “non-traditional” learners. You have the subject-area expertise. We have the experience and infrastructure to reach students you don’t currently serve. By working together, we have a unique, innovative opportunity to advance the larger campus mission.
For more information on custom Professional Certificate Programs, contact:
Jennifer Schwedler, Ed.D.
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs and Online Education
Sean Lynch, MBA
Assistant Dean and Chief Business Officer