Helping Professionals Achieve Their Dreams
UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) “Build Your Own Career” Scholarships are available to any student who is interested in completing an eligible Certificate, Professional Concentration or program offered through CPE and meets all requirements for their chosen program.
- Program tuition
- Course materials
Scholarship DOES NOT Cover:
- Non-tuition fee items which may be required for the program, such as toolkits or materials
- Transportation, sustenance and/or room and board
- Optional course supplies or textbooks
Scholarship is non-transferable and monies will not be awarded directly to the applicant. All scholarship monies will remain in-account at CPE.
Scholarship Application Requirements
- Applications for 2023 are closed, and application dates for 2024 will be listed here when they become available
- Applicant meets all qualifications for program admission
- Applicant, if awarded scholarship, agrees to have name and likeness shared publicly for promotional/marketing opportunities and participate in interviews, videos, etc. as appropriate, if requested.
- Applicant confirms that they fully understand, speak, read and write English.
- All course materials are in English
- All lectures are in English
- All assessments are in English
- All communication is in English
- Both domestic and international applicants are encouraged to apply.
- International applicants are subject to I-20 and F-1 Student Visa eligibility requirements for residential (in-person) programs.
- Academic Transcripts (if applicable)
- To be considered for the scholarship, unofficial transcripts must demonstrate successful completion of the minimum academic prerequisites for the certificate program. If an applicant DOES NOT meet the minimum academic prerequisites, their application WILL NOT be moved forward to the committee review phase for consideration.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
Scholarship award selection is based on a two-part process:
- Application and supporting materials (all applicants)
- Reviewed by a committee who will evaluate and award points in the following areas: Bio/Employment Prompt; Essay/Video; Financial Need; Resume/CV; Letter of Recommendation; and Persuasiveness.
- Zoom Interview (top three applicants, based on points, from Application process)
- Reviewed by a committee who will evaluate and award points based on responses to interview questions.
Application and Supporting Materials
- Bio/Employment Prompt
- OPTION 1: Applicants to provide a bio of no more than 250 words describing themselves including past work history and current employment.
- OPTION 2: Applicants to submit a pre-recorded video no more than 2 minutes in duration describing themselves including past work history and current employment.
- Essay (Goals and Passion)
- OPTION 1: Applicants to describe in no more than 1500 words their goal for pursuing their chosen program and how completion of the program will help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
- OPTION 2: Applicants to submit a pre-recorded video no more than 7 minutes in duration describing their goal for pursuing their chosen certificate program and how completion of the program will help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Financial Need
- Verification of household income and # of dependents in household (self-reported; verified upon awarding of scholarship)
- In no more than 500 words, applicant to describe current financial situation and why they are seeking the scholarship.
- Applicants to upload copy of CV/Resume
- Letter of Recommendation (1)
- Applicant to upload one letter of recommendation with their application. Recommender should not be a relative or close personal friend. Recommender should describe applicant’s motivation for pursuing this scholarship using anecdotal evidence and examples.
- Top three applicants with highest point total from the review committee agree to be interviewed via Zoom for final determination.
Deadlines and Other Conditions
- Applications for 2023 are closed
- Winner will be announced no later than June 30, 2023
- Winner will be contacted via email.
- Other terms and conditions:
- Incomplete applications and/or applications missing required information or documentation will not be considered.
- If the scholarship recipient does not make satisfactory academic progress during any course throughout the program, the scholarship is forfeited, and the scholarship recipient is liable for the full tuition and cost of subsequent courses.
- If the scholarship recipient chooses a certificate or professional concentration, it must be completed within 5 years. If the scholarship recipient fails to complete the certificate or professional concentration within 5 years, the scholarship award is null and void.
- Degree programs, bootcamps, post baccalaureate, international, pre-college and programs with existing CPE funded scholarship opportunities are excluded.
- Other terms and conditions may apply.