Improving Health Care Through Analytics
The increasing availability of electronic health data creates an incredible opportunity to apply large-scale, clinical analytics to improve health care, manage risks and improve patient outcomes. UC Davis Division of Continuing and Professional Education’s online Healthcare Analytics Certificate Program gives you the knowledge and practical skills to become a leader in this high-demand niche of the healthcare industry.
- Related article: Why you should consider a career in healthcare analytics—and what you need to know to get started
What You’ll Learn
This career-oriented program gives you the knowledge to succeed as a clinical and operational analyst in health care. Providing a strong foundation in the structure of healthcare data, it dives into hands-on coding and exposes you to leading industry applications such as SQL, SAS and Tableau. You’ll graduate from the program with a comprehensive understanding of the use and implementation of healthcare analytics, including:
- The changing context of healthcare services, the trend from volume to value-based purchasing and the role of data in promoting improved outcomes
- How to construct data files using advanced statistical and data programming techniques
- How to design data models that integrate patient data from multiple sources to create comprehensive, patient-centered views of data
- Analytic strategy to frame a potential issue and solution relevant to health improvement of patient populations
- Integrating clinical and business data to assess or compare the cost effectiveness of clinical interventions or processes
- Analysis of the distribution of disease and health outcomes in relevant populations of interest
- The application of clinical analytics to various contexts of quality improvement
How You’ll Benefit
The program features:
- Online convenience
- World-class curriculum developed by experts across several health systems, including UC Davis
- Access to industry-leading instructors, including UC Davis faculty, who have significant experience in healthcare analytics
- Hands-on access to analytics software and live data sets
- Practical knowledge you can use immediately in the workplace
- Small class sizes with exceptional networking opportunities
- $80,236 average salary for clinical analyst (Glassdoor)
- 9% projected growth in all computer analyst jobs from 2018-2028* (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- $94,500 average salary for medical and health services managers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- 18% projected growth for medical and health services managers jobs from 2018-2028 (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
*analysts working in health care not separated out
Required Prerequisite: Completion of an introductory statistics course (Statistics 1 or equivalent) is required for Applied Healthcare Statistics. Students should understand and be able to apply the following concepts: variables and distributions, correlations, Null Hypothesis, regressions, group comparisons (t-tests and ANOVAs), generalized linear models. Students not comfortable with the preceding should take a refresher course. If you are unsure if a refresher course is necessary, review the Self-Exam for Applied Healthcare Statistics.
Recommended Prerequisite: Prior professional experience in health care or a previous background working with data and understanding of relational databases is strongly recommended but not required. Students with little or no relational database experience should include the SAS Primer course as part of their curricular plan.
Program Requirements: Courses may be taken individually or as part of the certificate program. The certificate is awarded upon the successful completion of five required courses (15 units), with a minimum grade of ‘C’ in each course and an overall average of ‘B’ or higher.
About the Online Format: Course modules are released weekly, where lessons typically load on Wednesdays and are due the following Tuesdays. Students can log in and work on courses at any time within that week to view lectures and complete assignments. Courses consist of video lectures, reading assignments, written assignments and discussion forums.
For more details please review our FAQs page.
Courses must be taken in sequential order: Introduction to Healthcare Analytics, Healthcare Data Acquisition and Management, Applied Healthcare Statistics, Data Mining for Healthcare Analytics, and Quantitative Methods of Decision Analysis.
- Program cost: $6,000 (or $1,200 per course)
- See each course offering for discount opportunities
- A one-time, nonrefundable registration fee of $125 must be paid before completing this certificate program
- For more details, please review our FAQs page
For information about financing your education, please click here.
There are three ways to start earning your certificate. Choose the option that best suits your needs:
- Register – Complete this brief certificate registration form and pay the registration fee. By doing so, you declare your intent to complete the program and lock in program requirements. Once you register, program staff will be available to answer any questions you may have and assist you with your course plan.
- Enroll in an individual course – Check out individual courses that are currently open for enrollment. Courses will be applied to a certificate program if you later decide to complete your certificate.
- Sign up for an information session – Learn more about the Healthcare Analytics program by registering for a free information session. If an information session for this program is not currently open for enrollment, click on “notify me,” and we’ll contact you when the next one becomes available.
Questions? We’re here to help. If you’ve got a question, email us or call (530) 757-8899.