This course is a 1.5 CEU option for registered participants of the Area 3 Writing Project's workshop Everybody Can! Writing and the Common Core State Standards (Grades K-1). Primary student needs are different than those of older students, and teachers need focused strategies to help these new writers be successful. Join a kindergarten teacher (with first grade experience) as she shares the many ways to invite kindergarteners and first graders to join the writing community.
• The Common Core State Standards for reading, writing, listening and speaking
• Conditions for an effective writing classroom
• The foundations: getting started with writing in your classroom
• Building the writing community
• Modeled writing and mentor texts to support writing
• The three text types: narrative, informational and opinion (as well as genres that blend across all three text types)
For registration in the workshops and additional information visit: http://education.ucdavis.edu/area-3-writing-project