No one is born knowing how to productively move through conflict. For most people, conflict is an unpleasant and stressful experience. Conflict managed well strengthens relationships, deepens understanding, fosters growth, and expands perspectives and possibilities. The result is increased overall personal and professional satisfaction.
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning how to lean into rather than recoil from conflict. Students will gain insight into their attitudes and beliefs about conflict and how these impact their approach to uncomfortable situations. Through a mix of lecture, discussion and role-playing exercises, you’ll learn about the five conflict styles, identify your natural conflict style, and explore whether or not it is serving you. You will also learn and practice skills and strategies for productively moving through conflict. By the end of the course, you will have acquired practical skills and strategies for conflict management that can be used in your personal and professional life.
- Identify internal responses when faced with conflict and consciously choose how to address it
- More confidently and skillfully engage in any conflict that arises in personal and professional situations
- Be ready to welcome conflict as an opportunity for growth and change rather than dread it
Skills You Will Gain
- Apply active listening
- Suspend judgment
- Engage with genuine curiosity
- Reframe approaches to conflict