Student Services FAQs

General Questions

  • What is the cost for Continuing and Professional Education courses?
  • UC Davis charges a fee for each course, which may vary by the length of the course or subject area. Fees are listed under individual course descriptions.
  • Can I earn my degree or complete my degree through UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education?
  • The classes offered at UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education do not lead to formal degrees but may lead to a certificate of professional studies or a professional concentration that allows working adults a chance to update or enhance their current skills. The classes are taught by industry leaders and are reviewed and approved by the corresponding UC Davis campus departments.

    We do offer a program called Open Campus that allows students to take classes at the main campus for a limited amount of time without having to fully register as a UC Davis student.

    We also offer several degree options offered through various UC Davis campus departments. For more information, please visit our Master's Degree Programs web page.

  • Where do I buy textbooks?
  • Some classes have required textbooks. Required textbooks should be ordered, either through an online bookstore or at an area bookstore, prior to the class start date. (Recommended textbooks are not mandatory for the course, but might be of interest.) Details about textbooks can be found in the course listing and will always be listed on the class confirmation. To order textbooks, check the online course description where the title and the ISBN number of any required or recommended course textbooks will be listed. For your convenience, a link is provided in the course description to the UC Davis Bookstore online book ordering website. Specific information on ordering textbooks is available here.


  • How do I request a transcript?
  • Click here for detailed information on transcripts, including costs. If you are requesting records for courses taken prior to September 1, 1970, please send your request to the UC Berkeley address.
  • Can I request a transcript over the phone?
  • All transcript orders must be processed via the Parchment website online ordering service. Click here for detailed information on transcripts, including costs.

  • Can I order multiple copies of my transcript?
  • Yes, but please bear in mind that a fee of $15.00 is charged per transcript.
  • Will my transcript contain all of the courses I've taken, both through Open Campus and UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education?
  • Yes, as long as the courses were taken after the fall of 1970.
  • What information will my transcript provide?
  • Your transcript will contain all of the courses you've taken from both Open Campus and UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education . It also bears all of the information per course such as the Dept code, Course #, Course Title, beginning and ending dates of the class, your grade, any units the course was worth, any CEUs (continuing education units) the class was worth, hours and the GPA for that course.
  • Can I pick up my transcript in person?
  • All transcripts will be processes online via Parchment and cannot be picked up in person. The student or institution placing the order can opt to receive transcripts as digital PDF downloads or mailed hard copies.
  • Can someone pick up my transcript for me?
  • Yes, other people and institutions can order on your behalf, provided they have your permission.
  • Does my transcript calculate the number of total units from all the courses I've taken?
  • No, Your transcript will not provide a sum total; however, each of the courses listed on your transcript will have the units credited.
  • Do I need to include my social security number on the transcript request?
  • Yes. UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education is required by federal law to report your Social Security Number (SSN) and other pertinent information to the Internal Revenue Service pursuant to the reporting requirements imposed by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. We will also use your SSN to verify your identity. 
  • Can you fax or email my transcript?
  • No. Your transcript contains private information that could be stolen when data is transmitted across non-secure lines. To protect your privacy, transcripts can be mailed or downloaded from a secure website.
  • Can I get an "unofficial" transcript?
  • No. All transcripts are "official" and are subject to fees.
  • How long does it normally take to process transcripts?
  • Processing time depends on whether we've received all of your final grades. We also need to determine whether your courses are under one record in our database. For example, someone might register for courses under a nickname or maiden name one time, and then another they register under a different name. This may cause multiple records to exist in our database, which will need to be merged prior to processing your transcript. Parchment provides information on transcript processing times here. You may also track the status of your transcript at any time.
  • Is each transcript sealed in its own envelope?
  • Yes. This is for protection of student privacy.
  • How can I verify that my transcript request was received and that my transcript has been sent?
  • You can review the status of your order at any time using Parchment’s tracking system.

Certificate Programs

  • What is a certificate program?
  • A Certificate Program is a series of courses providing in-depth study, so you can get the most up-to-date skills and information you need to excel in your chosen field. These professional education programs provide a minimum of 12 units of academic credit. A UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education certificate says you've committed to a deeper understanding of your industry beyond what a course or workshop provides. Some certificates prepare you to take accreditation exams or meet state-mandated requirements for continuing education.
  • What is a professional concentration?
  • A professional concentration provides a highly focused sequence of study that can be completed in a year or less. These shorter programs (60-119 hours) focus on one facet of your profession. A professional concentration requires approximately half the number of courses as a certificate program.
  • What is a customized certificate program?
  • A customized certificate program allows you to combine courses from up to three certificate programs to create your own unique certificate program. You must complete a minimum of 21 units of coursework.

  • How is a Fast Track Certificate Program different?
  • In a Fast Track Certificate Program, you complete the same number of courses as in a regular certificate program. The difference is that you take more than one course a quarter, which allows you to complete your certificate more quickly. Instead of enrolling in each course separately, you enroll in and pay for the entire Fast Track Certificate at once. Fast Track students receive a 15% discount on the total program price. 

  • Why take a certificate program from UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education?
  • Unlike some other institutions, each of our programs are UC-approved, requiring at least 120 hours of coursework. All of our certificate courses offer academic credit, which may be applied to degree programs at colleges and universities at their discretion. UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education certificate courses are taught by respected leaders in their industries, so you always get practical, real-world ideas and instruction.

  • How will I benefit from getting a certificate?
  • Making the personal investment in a certificate shows your employer a serious commitment to your field and increases your value in the workplace. Achieving a certificate can give you a competitive edge in getting hired and promoted. Some of our certificates prepare you to take accreditation exams or meet state-mandated requirements for continuing education. And, over the course of a certificate program, many students have opportunities to work closely with instructors and fellow students, providing a valuable professional network for the future.

  • May I apply courses from another college to a certificate?
  • In many programs you may substitute one course from an accredited institution for one certificate program course, with approval of the program manager, if the course is comparable and you earned a grade of C or better. The program representative can give you more information about substitutions.

  • May I use certificate program units in a degree program?
  • Acceptance of our courses toward a degree is determined by the institution where you want to earn the degree. We recommend that students who wish to apply a UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education course toward a degree at another institution should verify acceptance of the course with that institution before enrolling.

  • Do I have to be in a program to take certificate courses?
  • Courses are open to the general public as well as certificate program enrollees. Many people take two or three courses before committing to an entire program. Others simply take courses they find interesting without the intention of earning a certificate.

  • How long does it take to complete a program?
  • Completion times vary by program. Course sequence and your schedule may allow you to complete in less than one year (especially if the certificate offers a Fast Track option). View specific information for the program you're interested in or contact Student Services for more information.

  • How much does it cost to complete a certificate program?
  • Program costs vary depending on the number of units required and the subject area. Professional concentrations typically cost $2,000-4,000, while certificate programs are approximately $4,000-8,000.

  • Is there a minimum grade standard I need to achieve to earn my certificate?
  • Unless otherwise specified in the program syllabus, you must earn a grade of C or better in each course within your program to receive your certificate. All coursework must be completed within five years of starting the first class in the program.

  • How do I enroll in a certificate program?
  • For most programs, we recommend you formally enroll after you have taken the third course in the program. You can complete your application online or download it and return it by fax, mail or in person. 

    When you begin the last class in your program, turn in a notification of completion form. This way our staff can notify you of any questions we have. We strongly encourage all certificate program students to periodically check in with a UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education representative in their subject area to make sure that their program is progressing as planned.

    Please note: The information above does not apply to the Master Brewers Certificate ProgramWinemaking Certificate ProgramParalegal Studies Certificate Program, and the Applied Sensory and Consumer Science Certificate Program

Online Learning

  • How is an online learning course different from taking a course in a classroom setting?
  • While there are differences, there are also many ways in which online learning courses are the same. They have real instructors, students, course materials, assignments, tests and grades. Our online learning courses also have the same academic rigor and quality that students expect from our traditional, face-to-face courses. And our online learning courses require the same commitment and effort that you would bring to a classroom experience.

    The most obvious difference with an online learning format is that you don't have to travel to a classroom. In most cases, the entire course is taken online. You'll enjoy more flexibility with online learning courses because you work at a time and place convenient to you. However, without the demands of a specific time and place for a course meeting, you will have to use more self-motivation to ensure your timely progress through the course. If you do not set aside time each week for the course, you may quickly find yourself behind and overwhelmed. Our most successful students schedule their study time just as they would for a classroom course.

  • How long will I have to complete the course?
  • We offer several formats for online learning courses. Some are self-paced. In a self-paced course you will be given a certain period of time (usually 15 weeks*) to complete the course at your own pace, independent of other students. You schedule your study time and pace yourself through the material.

    Many courses are time-constrained. This means that there are specific start and/or end dates for the course. However, within these parameters you are free to pace yourself to complete the course work. Some courses are cohort-based. In a cohort course, a group of students take the course together following the same schedule, with the same start and end dates. Everyone progresses through the course at the same pace. Some courses allow you to pace yourself through the program but have set exam dates.

    No matter which type of course you take, there is always an instructor to guide you through the material.

    *An extension can be granted upon written request, but you will be charged an additional fee. If you do not finish the course and let your user ID and password expire without requesting an extension, you must pay the entire course fee again if you choose to complete the course. You will receive a notice before your user ID expiration date.

  • What are the refund/withdrawal policies for online learning courses?
  • Enrollment policies are the same for classroom and online courses. Learn more.

  • What are some tips for successfully completing an online learning course?
  • First and foremost is exercising the discipline and initiative to set time aside on a regular basis to complete the course. Take advantage of interacting with your instructor and fellow students on a regular basis. Let us know immediately if you are experiencing any difficulty with your course. Be prepared to spend as much time "taking the course," studying and completing assignments as you would in a traditional classroom course. Be familiar with computers and the Internet and be sure your computer meets the minimum technical requirements listed for each course.

  • How will my learning be assessed?
  • Our online learning courses contain a variety of techniques to assess your learning. Each course is unique and may have one or more of the following features:
    *Online quizzes, tests and projects that are emailed to your instructor
    *Online quizzes that are automatically scored and give you immediate feedback
    *Paper-based exams that are taken in the presence of an approved proctor
    *Online course projects that you may work on with a team of fellow students
    *Online bulletin boards, discussion threads and chat sessions
    *Virtual labs that let you manipulate data in order to test hypotheses

  • How available will my instructor be?
  • Our instructors make every effort to respond quickly to students. In general, you can expect to get a response from an instructor within 48 hours on Monday-Friday. Each instructor will let you know their general availability when you enroll in the course.

    To accommodate gaps in instructor availability, you receive more time than our classroom courses to complete the online learning course. Also, remember that we are here to help you. If you have questions or are experiencing any difficulties, be sure to let us know immediately

International Students 

  • Am I eligible for a visa as a UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education student?
  • Most Continuing and Professional Education programs are not eligible to fulfill student visa requirements on their own. We cannot submit an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility document for our programs except for the Master of Science in Forensic Science and the Master Brewers Certificate Program, with some restrictions. For more information about how those programs fulfill the student visa requirements, visit their respective program pages. 
  • I have questions about obtaining a student visa. Is there someone I can talk to?
  • Yes, you can speak with our Immigration Advisor, Stephanie Palmer. Reach out by email at or make an appointment:
  • Can I take classes at UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education under my work visa?
  • If you are located in the United States while on a work visa, we do not require you to share your visa status with us when enrolling. However, if you have questions about your work visa, please know that our advising staff cannot advise on work visa matters. Please contact an immigration advisor who specializes in work visas to understand the requirements of your specific visa.
  • I am located abroad and am having trouble accessing my course content. What can I do?
  • Please see our technical requirements for online programs: If you continue to experience issues, you can contact our CPE Online Help Desk at



Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us via email or give us a call at (800) 752-0881 or (530) 757-8777.